SOCIOL 167 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: George Herbert Mead, Erving Goffman, Impression Management

24 views3 pages
1 Mar 2017
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Acquired and realized only through social relationships. The self is important for regulating behavior. Overcome impulses partly because of the process of the self. The self is both a subject and an object to itself. The self acts, the self behaves (source of action) An object is something to reflect upon, to evaluate. Think about myself at night - the process continues even without social interaction. Theorized that the self emerges from our ability to assume the point of view of others and imagine how they see us: looking-glass self. We imagine how we appear to another person. We imagine others" judgement of that appearance. We experience a self-feeling based on our imagination of others" judgement. The self cannot see or feel itself without the presence of others serving as a mirror. There is no me without a corresponding you . Doing the thing/i want to do this. Me -- self as object (reflect, we act then think about it)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers