BIOL 375 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Worker Policing, Inclusive Fitness, Monandrous

28 views8 pages

Document Summary

Cooperation and kinship: what is cooperation? a. (n) an outcome, where two or more interacting individuals each receive a net benefit from the joint actions, despite the costs they may have to pay for undertaking such actions a. i. Ex: elephants need to pull their own ropes to drag the table of food to them (will wait for other elephant in order to pull ropes together) a. ii. Ex: families gang up against one player to win in monopoly a. iii. Cooperation (must have some success) b. (v) to behave in such a way as to make the benefits that could be obtained from joint actions possible, even though they may not necessarily be achieved b. i. Ex: saber tooth tiger cooperating to bring down bull, the saber tooth tiger hanging back is not cooperating. b. ii. Cooperating (no success is necessary: how do animals cooperate, foraging, hunting, avoiding predators, mating, play, aggression, cooperative breeding g. i. Unrelated female bats assist pregnant females during birth g. i. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers