CAS PH 150 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Bourgeoisie, Ressentiment, Arthur Schopenhauer

36 views3 pages

Document Summary

Kant important points: duty, immediate inclination, instrumental inclination. Prudent merchant"s action: i will treat customers honestly in order to maximize long-term profits . Choosing the morally correct action (honesty instead of dishonesty) Naturally sympathetic person: i"ll help that person in need to enjoy it . Immediate inclination: choosing action b/c they enjoy it. Choosing the morally correct action (honesty instead of dishonesty. Only doing b/c you enjoy, not b/c the person needs it. Good will = choosing an action b/c you think its your duty. Maxim of a person"s action is a statement of what they"re doing and why. I should never act except insofar as i can will that my maxim becomes a universal alaw. Acting from duty = acting on maxims that you could will as universal laws. Argument that alienation is very bad in the sense that anyone who recognizes avoids something about our economic society that everyone"s alienated.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers