CAS PS 211 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Smooth Muscle Tissue, Histamine, Mast Cell

13 views4 pages

Document Summary

If pathogens get past nonspecific defenses the immune system reacts with a series of specific defenses a. i. 1. a. Substance that triggers this response is an antigen a. i. 2. Produced by actions of the lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell a. i. 2. b. i. Antibodies are proteins that help destroy pathogens a. i. 2. b. i. 2. These sites allow each antibody to bind to two antigens a. i. 2. b. i. 3. b. Immunity sometimes relies on lymphocytes not antibodies a. i. 3. b. Helper t cells regulate the production of antibodies by b cells a. i. 3. c. T cells can attack antigen bearing cells directly a. i. 3. d. Most effective attacking cells in the immune system are killer t cells or cytotoxic t cells a. i. 3. e. These killer cells transfer proteins into the cell membrane of a pathogen causing fluid from inside to leak out of the membrane a. i. 3. f. The rapid loss of material causes the cell to rupture and die a. i. 3. f. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers