Updated Oct 17, 2013
The Internet Era & Media Literacy
• Roots in research on connecting military communication systems across the country
• 1968 ARPANET launched; 1971 ARPANET connected 15 sites
• 1978 the International Packet Switched Service (APSS) connected 4 continents
• 1991 the World Wide Web project launched publicly
• 2013-39% of the world population accesses the internet
Top 10 Nations: Internet Penetration
Why does access matter?
• Information is Power
• Equality of Opportunity?
• Assumptions of Access
What does access mean?
• Who creates, consumes, and critiques messages?
• Intelligently consuming media is like reading- it is an acquired skill that must be taught,
takes practice, and can enhance the media experience
• media literacy empowers the audience member to be more savvy
critical consumers rather than passive "dupes"
Media Literacy: The Textbook Principles
• Media materials are constructed
1 every element of an ad is there for a purpose
• Media materials are created and distributed within a commercial env