WEEK THREE & FOUR:
- Away for a society to listen, decide, make up their minds and vote.
- We have the hope that the ideal citizen will be open minded, listen and vote.
- However, the reality is not that.
- The current controversy- ballot integrity versus voter suppression.
- History of voting requirements: how they XV amendment was made worthless.
Despite all the fuss and sacrifice people made about voting.
-Surveys show that decent # of people voted, (PEOPLE LIE)
-When looking strictly at ballots – the numbers are LOW.
-People today do not take advantage of their voting rights.
The turnout in mid-term elections is substantially lower than presidential
Why don’t people vote?
-It’s a hassle; registration is a hassle…. Voting is a hassle, there are long lines and weird
-In the UK voting is made way easier, a ballot comes to people and the household fills it
out and is continued to be sent until it is filled out
-In big states people feel as if their vote will not make a difference b/c California for
example will always swing liberal.
-People don’t invest enough time to even follow politics.
-Dislike both candidates
-Dead, felons or inmates
-Time zones play a HUGE role. (Pres. already picked by the time you vote in Hawaii)
* Voting stats do not take into account deaths nor felons/current prisoners.
▯ (Charts are never 100% accurate)
* The higher your socio economic stat