CGS SS 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Symbolic Interactionism, George Herbert Mead, Erik Erikson

23 views3 pages

Document Summary

Do people create society or does society create the person: durkheim"s view of society. Society fashions us as individuals in its own image: ruth benedict, patterns of culture. Examined lifestyles of three tribes: each tribe produced certain personality traits. Each culture establishes rules for members: rules of the game: role & status, role theory (integrationist theory) Children are molded by parents absorbs culture of society a. Child identifies with parent: discovering self. We are not born with a sense of self. Social self is you as you perceive yourself then can take place in social structure: berger"s social map . Then locate one"s place in society: charles horton cooley (1864-1929, the looking glass theory. We see ourselves as others see us (mirrors) I am not what i think i am. I am what i think you think i am. Exhibit different self in different social groups. Depend on the presence of others to form ourselves.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers