PSY 001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 31: Social Facilitation, Bench Press, Drive Theory

8 views2 pages

Document Summary

Stage 1: athlete is confronted with an environmental demand . Demands are placed upon an individual"s physical and psychological capabilities. Stage 2: athlete perceives/ appraises (you are making an assessment) the nature of the demand- amount of threat perceived. If there is nothing of value to you, then that situation won"t be threatening because you have nothing to lose. Stage 3: if athletes feel that demands exceed coping capabilities, threat is perceived, and the stress response occurs. Stage 4: behavioural consequence (i. e. performance outcome) associated with the stress response. In general, performance decrements occur. (facilitative vs. debilitative anxiety: debilitate= bad for me . I feel all of the physical symptoms of anxiety such as muscle tension, sweaty palms, feel sick, can"t sit still- if you believe that it is bad, it will make your performance decrease. However if you believe you can use the anxiety symptoms in a more useful/ facilitative way it will not interfere with performance.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers