CLAS 1051 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Mycenaean Greece, Alaksandu, Aegean Civilizations

28 views3 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Note: the following are notes i hand wrote and transferred into a digital format. From belief to skepticism: oral epic poetry egregious inaccuracies are possible a. i. Homer wrote down these stories; one large source of information about ancient greece, though how it can be used is still debated a. ii. There is no authoritative version of this text; told over and over again by many different bards throughout time a. iii. We must assume there is exaggeration within the poetry, but many believe there really was a war of troy: one bump view of greek history b. i. Traditional date of war is c. 1250 bc, but homer"s iliad was written in c. 750 bc b. i. 1. time. There are no records of significant citadels at this place in b. i. 2. The antagonists rediscovered: heinrick schliemann"s story a. i. An archeologist searching for homer"s trojan war a. ii. Period of civilized organization earlier than initially thought a. ii. 2. a. ii. 3. Evidence of a large, walled town below the citadel of troy.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers