HIST 1015 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Arthur Barlowe, Agulhas Bank, Newfoundland Colony

32 views4 pages
7 Sep 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

English plantations in ireland: first place england sets up colonies becomes the model for north. American colonies: geological advantage: ireland close to england, military advantage: english worried that spanish amada would use. English thought ireland was barbaric/uncivilized to resist them e. iii. England thought the irish took christian ideals and applied them to paganism: england slaughtered ireland, sir humphrey gilbert g. i. Decapitate irish captives and mount their heads on spikes as warning: england decided they"d never be able to conquer and control the irish i. Instead, eliminate irish people and repopulate ireland with english people i. i. Wrote discourse on western planting, 1584 l. i. 1. l. i. 2. Also wrote _principall navigations, voiages, and discoveries of the english nation _, 1587 l. ii. 1. l. ii. 2. 1578: queen elizabeth gives him permission to set up colony if he raises money himself m. i. 3. 1583: sets up colony in newfoundland m. i. 3. a. finds fishermen from all over the world there (french, portugese) m. i. 3. b.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers