ENGL 102 Lecture 6: Persuasive Writing and Argumentation (Working with the other side)

43 views1 pages

Document Summary

How to write persuasively : rogerian dynamic, listen to the other side, really hear the other side. Don"t ignore oppositional claims, embrace and refute them: honor and validate the other side"s position and perspective i. ii. iii. Don"t just ad hominem the other side bc you don"t their stance valid, because they clearly believe in their our arguments. Acknowledge when the other side makes valid points. Respect the argument: accurately articulate and re-present the other side"s views to them, make them see the topic differently ii. Don"t stretch or assume things about the other side: engage empathy, be non-confrontational, non-threatening, and non-adversarial i. This is not about winning an argument or being right : negotiation (5 cs) i. ii. iii. iv. v. Consensus - start with a general agreement, a jumping off point to begin discussing the subject. Compromise - it"s not an all or nothing, the other side doesn"t have to be demolished completely.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers