FDSC 154 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Caramelization, Corn Syrup, Fondant Icing

83 views3 pages

Document Summary

Classification of candy soft, smooth, creamy: crystalline. No sugar crystals can"t be felt on tongue. Fondant, fudge, panocha, divinity w/ added egg white: noncrystalline. Caramel, brittle, butterscotch, toffee amorphous (w/o form) chewy or hard. Crystalline development: developing complete solution of the crystalline sugar, boiling of sugar solution i) ii) Sugar boiled in a liquid to dissolve the sugar and evaporate part of the water to create desired amount of sugar. Important to stir until crystalization is complete: temperature affects the size of crystals i) Higher temp = faster crystalization rate = more difficult to separate crystals = larger crystals: cooling the mixture to a supersaturated state: i) ii) iii) Adding corn syrup or tartar helps control crystallization: beat now supersaturated mix to start crystallization, mix will becomes opaque b) It will warm due to heat of crystallization: ripening, changes that occur during initial period of storage, becomes moist and smooth because small crystals dissolve in syrup i)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers