PSY 101 Lecture 3: DEVELOPING THROUGH THE LIFE SPAN

7 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSY 101
Professor
Jeremy Michael Tyler

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
DEVELOPING THROUGH THE LIFE SPAN.
Developmental psychology examines biological, physical, psychological, and behavioral changes that occur as we
age. The issues in developmental psychology are.
Nature and Nurture. How do genes and experience guide development over our lifespan. You can be
predisposed genetically but not have the proper environment to activate a gene.
Change and stability. In what ways do we change as we age, and in what ways do we stay the same?Life requires
both, stability and change. Stability provides our identity. It enables us to depend on others and be concerned
about children’s healthy development. Our potential for change gives us hope for a brighter future. it motivates
our concern about present influences and lets us adapt and grow with experience.
Continuity vs. Stages. Is development a gradual change or are there some leaps to a new way of thinking or
behaving. Biological maturation coupled with experience and learning. There are pre-set stages, that are age
linked, to all humans go through in development. The pace at which one goes through them and they even
complete them all vary. Some stages are experience based.
Cognition refers to the mental activities that help us function like:
Problem-solving.
Figuring out how the world works.
Developing models and concepts.
Storing and retrieving knowledge.
Understanding and using language.
Using self-talk and inner thoughts.
Jena Piaget (1896-1980), studied the errors in cognition made by children in order to understand in what ways
they think differently than adults. She proposed that children’s thinking changes qualitative with age. Results
from an interaction of the brain’s biological maturation and personal experiences.
A Schema is a concept that organizes and interprets information. An infant’s mind works hard to make sense of
our experiences in the world. Schemas can take form of images, models, and/or concepts.
Assimilation is the process by which new experiences are incorporated into existing schemas. An example, the
concept of family grows to include cousins, aunts…
find more resources at oneclass.com
Accommodation is the process by which new experiences cause existing schemas to change. Disequilibrium is an
imbalance between existing schemas and new experiences. An example, growing up religious and thinking it’s
great and going to college and thinking it’s not so great.
Jean Piaget believed that cognitive development is a combination of nature and nurture. Children grow by
maturation as well as by learning through interacting/playing with the environment. She also believed that
cognitive development is not one continuous of progression of change.
ISSUE
JEAN PIAGET’S VOTE
Nature vs Nurture.
Both.
Continuity vs Stages.
Stages.
In Piaget’s views, she thought cognitive development consisted in four stages.
Sensorimotor. It ranges from birth to two years. It is experiencing the world through senses and actions. The
developmental phenomenas are:
Object permanence, the understanding than an object continues to exist even when it cannot be seen.
Stranger anxiety.
Pre-operational. It ranges from 2 years old to about 6/7 years old. It represents things with words and images
using intuitive rather than logical reason. The developmental phenomenas are:
Rapid language development.
Understanding of the past and the future.
No understanding of the Principle of Conservation, basic properties of objects stay the same even though
their outward appearance may change.
Irreversibility, cannot mentally reverse actions.
Animism. Attributing lifelike qualities to physical objects and natural events.
Egocentrism. Difficulty in viewing the world from someone else’s perspective.
Concrete Operational. It ranges from about 7 years old to 11 years old. Is about thinking logically about
concrete events grasping concrete analogies and performing arithmetical operations. The developmental
phenomenas are:
Understanding the concept of reversibility.
Displaying less egocentrism.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
DEVELOPING THROUGH THE LIFE SPAN. Developmental psychology examines biological, physical, psychological, and behavioral changes that occur as we age. The issues in developmental psychology are. Nature and Nurture. How do genes and experience guide development over our lifespan. You can be predisposed genetically but not have the proper environment to activate a gene. Change and stability. In what ways do we change as we age, and in what ways do we stay the same?Life requires both, stability and change. Stability provides our identity. It enables us to depend on others and be concerned about childrens healthy development. Our potential for change gives us hope for a brighter future. it motivates our concern about present influences and lets us adapt and grow with experience. Continuity vs. Stages. Is development a gradual change or are there some leaps to a new way of thinking or behaving. Biological maturation coupled with experience and learning. There are pre-set stages, that are age linked, to all humans go through in development. The pace at which one goes through them and they even complete them all vary. Some stages are experience based. Cognition refers to the mental activities that help us function like: Problem-solving. Figuring out how the world works. Developing models and concepts. Storing and retrieving knowledge. Understanding and using language. Using self-talk and inner thoughts. Jena Piaget (1896-1980), studied the errors in cognition made by children in order to understand in what ways they think differently than adults. She proposed that childrens thinking changes qualitative with age. Results from an interaction of the brains biological maturation and personal experiences. A Schema is a concept that organizes and interprets information. An infants mind works hard to make sense of our experiences in the world. Schemas can take form of images, models, and/or concepts. Assimilation is the process by which new experiences are incorporated into existing schemas. An example, the concept of family grows to include cousins, aunts 1Accommodation is the process by which new experiences cause existing schemas to change. Disequilibrium is an imbalance between existing schemas and new experiences. An example, growing up religious and thinking its great and going to college and thinking its not so great. Jean Piaget believed that cognitive development is a combination of nature and nurture. Children grow by maturation as well as by learning through interacting/playing with the environment. She also believed that cognitive development is not one continuous of progression of change. ISSUE JEAN PIAGETS VOTE Nature vs Nurture. Both. Continuity vs Stages. Stages. In Piagets views, she thought cognitive development consisted in four stages. Sensorimotor. It ranges from birth to two years. It is experiencing the world through senses and actions. The developmental phenomenas are: Object permanence, the understanding than an object continu
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit