PHIL 270 Lecture 18: BE 4.05 (L) Equal Pay

50 views2 pages
Business Ethics
4.05 Lecture Notes
- Asymmetrical information cannot communicate/foresee the drowning will lead to market failure s
- 1. Sweatshops are better for workers than the available alternatives
- 2. Regulating sweatshop labor will decrease employment
- 3. Regulating sweatshop labor will be harmful to workers (should be on net consequentialism;
Lockean: rights violation if one person is forced out of work and the overall social welfare for
everyone else improves, the move is a rights violation and is still wrong)
- Rights differ from welfare you cannot maximize non-violation of rights, you have to respect it
Nozik’s esio of Loke people have the rights to freely trade and negotiate contracts
- #3 loosely follows, not deductively valid
- 2’. Regulatig seatshop… i Poell
- We need to not only look at unemployment, but look at the magnitude of unemployment
o Should look at secondary effects, like the multiplier effect people who have a bit more money
now can use it in the economy, jumpstart growth that benefits everyone
o Becomes an empirical issue, not a moral issue
- Fair price for saving the drowning person roughly equivalent to the competitive price/wage in the
market
o Loke did’t eally thik aout asyetial ifoatio
o Not in extreme conditions drought, natural disasters, trading restrictions
- Injustices that states may be inflicting interfering with the market price so that the market price
does’t eege
o Sweatshops withhold pay
o States unjustly claim land/natural resources
King of Saudi Arabia strikes a deal to some of the profit from oil (that the king declares
to be his property)
Economic state of the country greatly improves
On net everyone is better off, but on net rights are being violated
Social oppression stringent laws
Not sustainable in the long-run
o To stadads of easuig ette off
Right violation v. non-rights violation
Economic well-being
o Assume that the Saudis are better off by both standards
o The imported Bangladeshi, Pakistani, etc. work in sweatshops in Saudi Arabia
o Hindu, Buddhist, atheist either forced to convert, treated like slaves, lower status in society
Treated as such in sweatshops
Not the owner of the sweatshop it’s the politial istitutios ho idue/euie suh
oppression
Note: Christians and Jewish are tolerable
But the people who move to Saudi Arabia to work in sweatshops move there voluntarily
yes, but asymmetrical information
If they were fully informed, it is harder to say that they are being exploited
- Bangladesh sweatshops are tolerable, better than alternatives, no coercion, low wages
- Zworlinski best person is the sweatshop owner, the worst person is person doing nothing (the person
who condemns the sweatshops)
o What about people who buy products from sweatshop-free companies?
o WORST PERSON
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Asymmetrical information cannot communicate/foresee the drowning will lead to market failure s. Sweatshops are better for workers than the available alternatives. Regulating sweatshop labor will be harmful to workers (should be on net consequentialism; Lockean: rights violation if one person is forced out of work and the overall social welfare for everyone else improves, the move is a rights violation and is still wrong) Rights differ from welfare you cannot maximize non-violation of rights, you have to respect it (cid:894)nozi(cid:272)k"s (cid:448)e(cid:396)sio(cid:374) of lo(cid:272)ke(cid:895) people have the rights to freely trade and negotiate contracts. Fair price for saving the drowning person roughly equivalent to the competitive price/wage in the market: lo(cid:272)ke did(cid:374)"t (cid:396)eally thi(cid:374)k a(cid:271)out asy(cid:373)(cid:373)et(cid:396)i(cid:272)al i(cid:374)fo(cid:396)(cid:373)atio(cid:374, not in extreme conditions drought, natural disasters, trading restrictions. If they were fully informed, it is harder to say that they are being exploited. Bangladesh sweatshops are tolerable, better than alternatives, no coercion, low wages.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers