PHIL 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 45: Frankfurt School, Solipsism, Abstract And Concrete

10 views3 pages

Document Summary

Max stirner (a pseudonym for johann kaspar schmidt) is one of hegel"s most outspoken dissidents, because he criticized virtually all other "leftists" as well as hegel himself. Stirner attended lectures by schleiermacher and hegel, and in 1845 der einzige und sein eigentum (the. In this work, stirner sets out his fundamental disagreement with the hegelian system and with any attempt to subordinate the unique. Individual to an abstract entity such as the ab-solute spirit, humanity or human essence. The indivi- dual self is the fundamental reality (solipsism), and all abstractions have to be reduced to. Stirner"s selfish philosophy is the (nomi- nalist) protest of the free individual against the voracious universal; no abstract entity can replace the individual. Individual freedom is realized through ownership, appropriating everything that serves me to live as an authentic individual. I can only care about myself; this position is called solipism or theoretical selfishness.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers