PHILOS 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Mind, Direct And Indirect Realism, Intentionality

19 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Propositions, names thoughts, mental images, all refer to something. All theory of reference is about the nature of referential relationship. Putnam is presenting his argument on the basis of "mentalism", which is a view that psychological phenomena are ultimately explained by the mind of an individual agent or a group of agents. A linguistic symbol has its meaning (or refers to something) in virtue of the human linguistic convention (and individuals" intentionality) A painting has its meaning (or refers to somethings) in virtue of the painter"s intentionality. My mental image of tree refers to a tree, my mental image of tree is about a tree, my mental image of tree means a tree, the content of my mental image of tree is a tree. A theory of reference and a theory of content/meaning are closely related. Is the alien"s mental image of tree about a tree. Trees do not exist where the alien"s live, they look at a picture and.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers