HSS 326 Lecture Notes - Inpatient Care, Palliative Care

14 views3 pages
Hannah Cheyney
HSS 326 A Special Populations in Human Services
Quiz #3 Study Guide
Wednesday, April 25th
1. In your opinion, what changes to our current health and end-of-life care would need to be put in place to
ensure everyone had a "good death"?
In my opinion, our current health and end-of-life care systems are already doing a better job than I could’ve
imagined. Though they are doing so well, it is not guaranteed that most people will have a ‘good death’.
Having a ‘good death’ to many people entails factors such as sufficient time to say goodbye, choice about
where death occurs and adequate control of pain and other symptoms. I would say the most important factor
is whether or not people have a say in their end-of-life-care. The emphasis on person-centered care since the
1990s has made them more involved and engaged (whether that be caring for plants or making decisions).
This was a big culture change, but it was necessary, as people’s care should be centered around them.
It often helps people to have a better death if they are using technology in their old age, as it can connect
them to friends, family, even random peers with similar interests to them. Frequent computer use is also
associated with better cognitive performance. The internet can also be used as a means of communicating
about one’s health status. Being able to reach physicians and nurses online helps patients remain at home for
as long as they can, which is all anyone wants (some refer to this as ‘Aging in place’). Those who are lucky
enough to age in place have supportive services accessible where they live so they don’t have to look to the
community or a long-term care facility for help. In general, I believe that what we are doing with older people
is good, we just need to do more. If we had more supportive services (like the ones we visited in class) not
nearly as many people would be moving in-to nursing homes. The number and variety of residential options
has grown in the past decade and will hopefully continue to grow. Relocating is often one of the biggest
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class