Lecture 22
Psychopathology and Couples
DSM 5 “V Codes”
“Additional problems needing clinical attention:”
- V6 I.20 Parent-child relational problem
- V6 I.10 Relational distress with spouse or intimate partner
- V6 I.03 Disruption of family by separation or divorce
Couple Types
- Complementary there is usually one member of the couple who is the clear bad actor
(problem of the couple could be due to psychological problem, not contributing to
helping the house, extramarital effect)
- Symmetrical pattern of interaction between these two individuals reads into problems
Complementary couples
- Enabling the non-problem member enables the problems, takes up the slack, allowing
problem member to co-exist with them without forcing them to change
- Co-dependent the idea that couple’s dynamic is where one person has the problem and
the other person is the caretaker of the problem. The person in caretaker role is attached
to that caretaker role, feels reinforced.
- Folie-a-deux
- Complementary couples often mask symmetrical issues
Symmetrical Couples
- More common don’t have primary psychopathology, can be high functioning and report
high quality of life but struggling in relationship with each other, not seeded in an
individual disorder
- Life outside of couple is fine
- Problem is the relationship
- COUPLE MAY NOT AGREE WITH YOU(THERAPIST) OR EACH OTHER!!!
- Couple may have shared understanding of the problem so if they don’t agree, they
might not come back! Have to be careful about how couple sees themselves
Origins of Conflict
- Personality/core values dimensions of personality
- Expectations/Family of origin hidden expectations
- Developmental change/tolerance of change can unmask for couple what they have
strong feelings about
Key Transitions
- Early Years
- Co-habitation
- Early parenting
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

V6 i. 10 relational distress with spouse or intimate partner. V6 i. 03 disruption of family by separation or divorce. Complementary there is usually one member of the couple who is the clear bad actor (problem of the couple could be due to psychological problem, not contributing to helping the house, extramarital effect) Symmetrical pattern of interaction between these two individuals reads into problems. Enabling the non-problem member enables the problems, takes up the slack, allowing problem member to co-exist with them without forcing them to change. Co-dependent the idea that couple"s dynamic is where one person has the problem and the other person is the caretaker of the problem. The person in caretaker role is attached to that caretaker role, feels reinforced. More common don"t have primary psychopathology, can be high functioning and report high quality of life but struggling in relationship with each other, not seeded in an individual disorder. Couple may not agree with you(therapist) or each other!!

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers