Psychology (309)
SOP 3004 (56)

Social Psych What Why How.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Florida State University
SOP 3004
Kate Zielaskowski

Social Psych: What, Why, & How 1. What? a. Science that addresses fundamental questions about human nature b. Scientific study of how people think about, influence and relate to other people  Remember for exam 2. Why? a. Social problems b. Gordon Allport,1954 i. Established study of intergroup relations ii. Genotype – internally coded, inherited characteristics iii. Phenotype – outward physical manifestations c. Role of the environment d. Kurt Lewin, 1940s/1950s i. Field theory – A person‟s behavior is a function of the person and his or her environment, i.e. nature and nurture 1. B=f(P,E) ii. Action research – “research on the conditions and effects of social action”, “planning, action, and fact-finding about the result of he action” e. Philip Zimbardo (contemporary) i. Stanford prison study in „70s 1. Roles resulted in abuse or depression ii. Testified on behalf of Sgt. Ivan Frederick for abuses at Abu Ghraib f. Is it all just common sense? g. Limitations of common sense i. Contradictory 1. Experiments a. Causal relationships b. Correlation does not imply causation c. Characteristics i. Experimental control 1. I.V. (manipulated) 2. D.V. (measured) 3. Confounds ii. Random assignment 1. Experimental group 2. Control group d. Benefit of experimental control i. Confounds are ruled out 1. Observed differences in the D.V. are due to differences in the I.V. e. Benefit of random assignment i. Pre-existing differences are minimized 1. Pps who wore black and white t shirts were equal on all other factors but shirt color a. E.g., naturally aggressive Pps had an equal chance of being in fights f. Quasi-experiments i. Has no random assignment g. What do we know about social psych. methodology? 1. Why Start with the Self? a. William James: The “known and the knower” i. “Not separate things but rather discriminate aspects of one thing” ii. Extroverted – social opportunities iii. Introverted – social obligations 2. Parts of the self: a. Self-concept i. Self-awareness, self-esteem, self-deception b. Interpersonal self i. Self-presentation, group membership, roles c. “Agent self” AKA “executive function” i. decision making, self-control, deliberate behaviors d. Only partially internal i. Roles, group membership, relationships 1. Markus & Kitayama a. Independent and interdependent cultures e. Social roles f. Is there a “true self?” i. The “phenomenal self”/working self concept 1. Different aspects of the self will be more or less salient depending on the context g. Tokenism i. Ex: Only woman, black person, gay person 3. Why have a self? a. We‟re built to relate i. Inner processes serve interpersonal functions b. Social brain theory: i. Early humans needed each other to survive ii. Developed large groups iii. Complex social structures… more smarts c. Evolution d. Monitoring e. Taking action 4. Self-awareness a. Attention directed at the self b. Private: inner states c. Public: how others see you i. The looking-glass self (Cooley) 1. People learn about themselves from other people 2. Partially correct, partially incorrect
More Less

Related notes for SOP 3004

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.