loribrooks (10)
Lecture 3

AFAM 3001 Lecture 3: 3. Smallwood Saltwater Slaves

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Fordham University
African American Studies
AFAM 3001

Smallwood Saltwater Slaves 01/31/17 • Summary of Wood Chapter 1 th o Racial theory upon which slave law was based by the second half of the 17 cen. was a “post hoc” phenomenon o Various forms of unfreedom existed in the New World o Justified inequality by o The Great Chain of Being o Believed God ordained societal hierarchy (i.e., divine right of kings) o Sense of power as an imperial force (colonizing the New World and Asia) o “Rule Brittania” unofficial/military British anthem (c1740) ➢ th o Indentured servitude in the 17 cen. addressed the problem of the need for agricultural labor in the New World; o Although servants and slaves often world side by side, there were important differences between indentured servitude & involuntary servitude (i.e., slavery) – see Powerpoint from 1/25 o Indentured servants, however, could have their contracts breached, suffer violence and hunger and other forms of inhumanity and depravation (ex. of child servant Richard Prethorne) • Chapter 2 o The “blackness” of West Africans already associated with sin and inferiority in the European mind o The Bible o Accounts of New World travel o West Africans were not Christians and thus considered “heathens” and “strangers” o Humanity questioned o Europeans asked how could people so physically “different” come from Adam and Eve? o Roots of polygenesis (notion that blacks and whites originated from different ancestors) o Hamitic myth: Claimed blacks were the descendants of Ham, Noah’s son, whose descendants were cursed by God • Jefferson, notes on the state of va. o Jefferson’s Notes on the State of Virginia attempted to explain racial differenc
More Less

Related notes for AFAM 3001

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.