Premium

6 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOL 3600
Professor
Spencer

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Origin of Complex Life: Eukaryogenesis
20 April 2017
G. Ozan Bozdag
Why are we focusing on the evolution of complex cell?
o Microbial life starts 3.7 bya, with bacteria and archaea
o Can evolve to become multicellular but not complex
Eukaryotic cell(s): Cell within a cell
o Mitochondria can reproduce independent of the cell
They have their own genomes
o Eukaryotic cell is very different from prokaryotic cell
Evolution of eukaryotes: Not a regular evolutionary change
Cells within cells: Modern examples of phagocytosis
o Endosymbionts inside larger cells which can reproduce
Edosyioti Hypothesis Theory
o 1905: Mereschkowski thought larger cells engulf smaller cells
o 1967: Margulis reintroduced Mereshkoskis idea after people
forgot about it; extrapolated to animal cells, not just plant cells
EukaryogenesisA major transition in evolution
o Not a simple branching into 2 from 1 lineage
o 1+1=1
o Over 15 hypothesis for the origin of the host
o 17 different hypothesis for origin of the endosymbiont
find more resources at oneclass.com
Part 1: Origin of the mitochondria
o Mitochondria form a clade
o They share similar genomes with alpha-proteobacteria
o The endosymbiont was an alpha-proteobacteria
o Genome reduction in organelles
When alpha-proteobacteria entered cell, caused huge
genome reduction
o Genome reduction in mitochondria
Protist mtDNA share some genes with yeast mtDNA, but
they share with alpha-proteobacteria
o How does the transfer happen: RNA-intermediate or bulk-
transfers?
o Origin of the mitochondrion (the organelle): Not that simple!
Not all of the 1,100 proteins come from alpha-
proteobacteria to mitochondria
o  Ogoig deate
Alpha-proteobacteria form with premitochondrion to form
mitochondria
Part II: Origin of the host
o Nuclear genome is more identical to the archaeal lineages
o Other than self-replicating organelles: Intracellular
membranes/trafficking
Carries nutrients to cell; waste away from cell
Composed of different extensions of membranes, different
proteins
Not found in bacteria
o 2 competing hypotheses

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Origin of Complex Life: Eukaryogenesis 20 April 2017 G. Ozan Bozdag • Why are we focusing on the evolution of complex cell? o Microbial life starts 3.7 bya, with bacteria and archaea o Can evolve to become multicellular but not complex • Eukaryotic cell(s): Cell within a cell o Mitochondria can reproduce independent of the cell ▪ They have their own genomes o Eukaryotic cell is very different from prokaryotic cell • Evolution of eukaryotes: Not a regular evolutionary change • Cells within cells: Modern examples of phagocytosis o Endosymbionts inside larger cells which can reproduce • Endosymbiotic “Hypothesis” Theory o 1905: Mereschkowski thought larger cells engulf smaller cells o 1967: Margulis reintroduced Mereschkowski’s idea after people forgot about it; extrapolated to animal cells, not just plant cells • Eukaryogenesis—A major transition in evolution o Not a simple branching into 2 from 1 lineage o “1+1=1” o Over 15 hypothesis for the origin of the host o 17 different hypothesis for origin of the endosymbiont • Part 1: Origin of the mitochondria o Mitochondria form a clade o They share similar genomes with alpha-proteobacteria o The endosymbiont was an alpha-proteobacteria o Genome reduction in organelles ▪ When alpha-proteobacteria entered cell, caused huge genome reduction o Genome reduction in mitochondria ▪ Protist mtDNA share some genes with yeast mtDNA, but they share with alpha-proteobacteria o How does the transfer happen: RNA-intermediate or bulk- transfers? o Origin of the mitochondrion (the organelle): Not that simple! ▪ Not all of the 1,100 proteins come from alpha- proteobacteria to mitochondria o “” Ongoing debate ▪ Alpha-proteobacteria form with premitochondrion to form mitochondria • Part II: Origin of the host o Nuclear genome is more identical to the archaeal lineages o Other than self-replicating organelles: Intracellular membranes/trafficking ▪ Carries nutrients to cell; waste away from cell ▪ Composed of different extensions of membranes, different proteins ▪ Not found in bacteria o 2 competing hypotheses 2 ▪ Archezoa Hypothesis: Mitochondria late • The origin of the host (rooted RNA phylogeny): More sophisticate archaea-like ancestor? • Simple cells start to evolve a complex, genetic structure • Some features derived earlier than mitochondria etc. • Archaea feeds on bacteria  evolves to become complex life  forms nuclear envelope that surrounds its genome  evolving cytoskeleton  all this to eat bacterial food (alpha-proteobacteria)  this interaction of eating causes cell to enter that is not digested and starts to reproduce within complex archaea  its genome is transferred to host (nuclear DNA)  protein transport system evolves  communication between both evolve  highly energy efficient, complex cell evolves (mitochondria LATE theory) • The “first” nail in the “Archezoan” coffin: ‘Long branch attraction’ artifact o Mitochondria entered, and all complex life evolved from it o All the groups were located within eukaryotic group (they are not a separate group) o The “first” nail in the “Ar
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit