FRSC 302 Lecture 2: FRSC 302 fibers notes week 2

39 views8 pages

Document Summary

We come into contact with many different types of fibers: natural, synthetic, manufactured. Synthetic: fibers therefore occur frequently in the course of forensic investigations, fibers are classified as either natural or manufactured. Natural fibers created from vegetable/plant, animal or mineral sources i. e. cotton, hemp, wool. Manufactured fibers created from raw materials either natural or chemical based: natural based man-made fibers are composed of regenerated cellulose or regenerated protein i. e. rayon, rubber. Chemical based non-made fibers are referred to as synthetic fibers i. e. lycra, pvc. Natural fibers found in garments: wool, cashmere and mohair, silk. Composed of: cellulose, pectin ligin fats and waxes. Divided into 3 groups according to the location on a plant where the fiber is found: seed cotton kapok, bast (stem) leaf. What type of microscope would you use for the analysis of fibers: compound microscope and also a polarized light microscope (plm) Natural fibers may be originally white, off white or a shade of brown.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers