SOCI 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Social Stratification, Social Inequality, Social Mobility

33 views2 pages

Document Summary

Usa is considered an open-class, but sociologist do not agree. b. ii. Closed system: caste (in relation to social consistencies) b. iii. Open system: class: karl marx and social inequality, bourgeoisie and proletariat a. i. Whether you own the means of production or you work in labor: max weber and social class, class, status and party a. i. Class is wealth (how wealthy they are) a. ii. Party is power: social class in the u. s, consensus among sociologists a. i. Upper-upper (. 5%); lower upper (1%); upper middle (10-15%); lower-middle (25-30%); working class (30-35%); lower (25-20%) a. ii. Upper-upper (. 5%); lower upper (1%); upper middle (7-9%); middle-middle (9-10%); lower-middle (25%); working class (30%); lower (25%: criteria: wealth/income; education; occupation, what is most prestigious occupation in u. s. ? c. i. Doctor: what is second and third? d. i. College professor and judge: what is lowest rated? e. i. The way society is set up to create the order, the most valuable positions in society is given to the brightest people. f. i. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers