BMS 251 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Bone Marrow, Calcitriol, Metabolic Waste

70 views10 pages
29 Nov 2018
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Describe the general functions of the kidneys i: elimination of metabolic wastes and biologically active molecules: Remove waste that is present in the filtrate(urea, uric acids) to prevent these substances from reaching toxic levels within the blood. Aids in maintaining acid base balance by altering blood levels of both hydrogen ions and bicarbonate ions by also eliminating varying amounts of these ions: production and release of erythropoietin: i. As the kidneys filter the blood, they are indirectly measuring the oxygen levels of blood. Describe the renal corpuscle and its components: nephron: microscopic, functional filtration unit of the kidney: regulates ion levels, ph, blood pressure, eliminates waste, and helps form urine. Each nephron consists of two major structures: a renal corpuscle and a renal tubule. i. Renal corpuscle: bulbous portion of a nephron housed within the renal cortex. Explain the function of the glomerulus and bowman"s capsule: glomerulus: a thick tangle of capillary loops(fenestrated capillaries).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers