COMG 151 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Intercultural Communication, Culture Shock, Stereotype

43 views6 pages
22 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Sex and gender: men: goal-oriented, women: build relationships. Age: certain age groups value diff. aspects of communication. Older adults: don"t like to be patronized/talked-down to. Instrumental orientation i can do it myself . Globalization: use of internet affected the way we communicate w/ppl. Intercultural communication communication w/ppl of diff. cultures from you. Greater difference: bigger the chance of miscommunication/misunderstanding. May experience culture shock - feelings of stress a person experiences when encountering a culture different from his/her own. Culture and experiences determine our worldview frame of reference lens in which we perceive world around us. Derive more info. from nonverbal + environmental cues. Derive more info. from verbal cues indivs. from low-context cultures are often less skilled in interpreting unspoken messages. Hofstede"s 5 diff. cultural values: individualistic and collectivistic. Individualistic: value indiv. /personal achievement; i got this . Collectivistic: value group achievement; we"re all in this together : conflict is considered dysfunctional, high and low power distribution.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers