PSY 001 Lecture Notes - René Descartes, Preconscious, Freudian Slip

16 views3 pages
Psych Consciousness
Jadzia Wray
Awareness I thik; theefoe I a – Rene Descartes
States of Consciousness
- Consciousness - Idiidual aaeess of oe’s uiue thoughts, eoies, feeligs, sesatios
and environment
- Continuum of Consciousness - Wide range of experiences from being aware and alert to being
unaware and unresponsive
- Controlled Processes
o Full awareness, alertness, and concentration
o Usually interferes with other ongoing activity
- Automatic Processes
o Little awareness and takes minimum attention
o Does not interfere with other ongoing activity
- Daydreaming
o Low level of awareness
o Involves fantasizing/dreaming whilst awake
o Occurs in situations that are boring require little attention
- Altered States
o Awareness that differs from normal consciousness.
o Results from using any procedures: meditation, hypnosis, or psychoactive drugs.
- Unconscious
o It otais all sots of sigifiat ad distuig ateial hih e eed to keep out of
awareness because the ae too theateig to akoledge full-Freud
o Total uaaeess ad loss of esposieess to oe’s eioet.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Awareness (cid:862)i thi(cid:374)k; the(cid:396)efo(cid:396)e i a(cid:373)(cid:863) rene descartes. Consciousness - i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual a(cid:449)a(cid:396)e(cid:374)ess of o(cid:374)e"s u(cid:374)i(cid:395)ue thoughts, (cid:373)e(cid:373)o(cid:396)ies, feeli(cid:374)gs, se(cid:374)satio(cid:374)s and environment. Continuum of consciousness - wide range of experiences from being aware and alert to being unaware and unresponsive. Controlled processes: full awareness, alertness, and concentration, usually interferes with other ongoing activity. Automatic processes: little awareness and takes minimum attention, does not interfere with other ongoing activity. Involves fantasizing/dreaming whilst awake: occurs in situations that are boring require little attention. Altered states: awareness that differs from normal consciousness, results from using any procedures: meditation, hypnosis, or psychoactive drugs. Unconscious: (cid:863)it (cid:272)o(cid:374)tai(cid:374)s all so(cid:396)ts of sig(cid:374)ifi(cid:272)a(cid:374)t a(cid:374)d distu(cid:396)(cid:271)i(cid:374)g (cid:373)ate(cid:396)ial (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h (cid:449)e (cid:374)eed to keep out of awareness because the(cid:455) a(cid:396)e too th(cid:396)eate(cid:374)i(cid:374)g to a(cid:272)k(cid:374)o(cid:449)ledge full(cid:455)(cid:863)-freud, total u(cid:374)a(cid:449)a(cid:396)e(cid:374)ess a(cid:374)d loss of (cid:396)espo(cid:374)si(cid:448)e(cid:374)ess to o(cid:374)e"s e(cid:374)(cid:448)i(cid:396)o(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t. Preconscious: past info that can be recalled e. g. memories. Unconscious/subconscious: collection of mental processes not directly available to our consciousness e. g. unacceptable feeling, wishes, urges.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers