PSY 177 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: James Papez, Facial Muscles, Psy

42 views8 pages

Document Summary

Emotion: a subjective mental state that is usually accompanied by distinctive behaviors as well as involuntary physiological changes. Three aspects of emotions: feelings (internal sense of emotion, actions (e. g. facial expression or shouting, physiological arousal (e. g. heart racing) So scared my hair stood on end ; burning with anger . The sympathetic nervous system ( fight or flight system activates the body for action) The parasympathetic nervous system (prepares the body to relax and recuperate) Language we use around emotion suggests feeling body response. I was so scared that my heart was racing. The james-lange theory states that the emotions we feel are caused by bodily changes; emotions differ due to different physiological responses. Your heart isn"t racing because you are scared; you are scared because your heart is racing. Autonomic response for fear, surprise, anger = sympathetic ns. The cannon-bard theory states that cerebral cortex causes both emotional response and autonomic nervous system activation (simultaneous but independent)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers