ECON 2 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Barter, Aggregate Demand, Making Money

6 views2 pages
Hao Tran
htran170@ivc.edu
Macroeconomics
Notes: Econ 2
Inflationary and Deflationary Gaps
Inflationary gap arises when an increase in spending moves the economy away from the
equilibrium at full employment position. Inflationary gap is the amount by which aggregate
demand rises above the level necessary for full employment in the economy.
The above diagram shows inflationary and deflationary gaps.
When aggregate demand increases from C + I to C + I + ΔI, YIG becomes the equilibrium income.
However, YIG is unattainable since at YF all resources are fully employed. This means that people
have more money chasing fewer goods and services, hence prices of products increase, pushing
up the nominal national Income to YIG. The difference between YF and YIG is due to inflation and
it is called the inflationary gap.
Inflationary gap can be removed by increasing prices through
increased indirect taxes
reducing people’s incomes through direct taxes and
reduced government expenditures.
Deflationary gap is the amount that demand falls short of the necessary level required for full
employment in an economy. When aggregate demand falls from C + I to C + I ΔI, YDG becomes
the equilibrium income. However, this level is undesirable, as it causes unemployment. This means
that the consumers have less money chasing too many products, hence a slump in prices and
employment. The difference between YDG and YF is the deflationary gap. The deflationary gap can
be removed by a combination of some or all the following:
increasing people’s incomes through reduction of income taxes
reducing prices through reduction of indirect taxes
increase in government expenditures.
Money and its Basic Functions
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Inflationary gap arises when an increase in spending moves the economy away from the equilibrium at full employment position. Inflationary gap is the amount by which aggregate demand rises above the level necessary for full employment in the economy. The above diagram shows inflationary and deflationary gaps. When aggregate demand increases from c + i to c + i + i, yig becomes the equilibrium income. However, yig is unattainable since at yf all resources are fully employed. This means that people have more money chasing fewer goods and services, hence prices of products increase, pushing up the nominal national income to yig. The difference between yf and yig is due to inflation and it is called the inflationary gap. Inflationary gap can be removed by increasing prices through increased indirect taxes. Reducing people"s incomes through direct taxes and. Deflationary gap is the amount that demand falls short of the necessary level required for full employment in an economy.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers