PSY-P 304 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Relative Deprivation, Paternalism, Out-Group Homogeneity

32 views2 pages

Document Summary

5 20 stereotypes: stereotypes beliefs that associate groups of people with certain traits or characteristics, sources? a. i. Others: cognitive model of development, social categorization to classify or sort people based upon some common attribute a. i. Prototype most representative schema used to judge whether or not people belong in a certain category. In-group out-group distinction: out-group homogeneity bias our belief that members of an outgroup are much more alike than they really are b. In-group homogeneity bias exists, but out-group homogeneity biases help build stereotypes: perpetuation of stereotypes, persistence over time, resistance to change b. i. Sociocultural factors accumulated knowledge that is passed from generation to generation b. ii. Psychoanalytic projection of unwanted characteristics onto others b. iii. (cognitive) illusory correlations belief that group membership and a particular attribute are related to one another when, in fact, they are not b. iv. Confirmatory evidence tendency to ignore instances of individuals defying a stereotype: stereotype content model (fiske & cuddy) a. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers