PSY-P 304 Lecture Notes - Lecture 24: Learned Helplessness, Egotism, The Selfish Gene

16 views3 pages

Document Summary

Prosocial behavior - proximate or ultimate a. Survival of the fittest genes not of the fittest individuals. Altruistic individuals can evolve from selfish genes a. ii. When do they help: why do people need help, evolution via natural selection a. i. Why would we evolve to help others instead of focusing on ourselves? a. ii. Helping related individuals increases the odds of gene survival a. i. 1. You share about 50% of your genetic material with your brothers and sisters, 25% with your cousins a. i. 1. a. You"re more willing to help your brother than your cousin because they have more of your genes a. i. 1. a. i. Helping behaviors should roughly correlate with the amount of genetic material shared: reciprocal altruism you scratch my back i"ll scratch yours b. i. If a helps b and b helps a, both a and b increase their chances of survival and reproductive success b. i. 1. You can share files and others can download them b. ii. 1. b. You must share in order to download b. ii. 1. b. i. 1.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers