NUTR 395 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Protein Catabolism, Hyperthyroidism, Transferrin

35 views4 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Biochemical assessment: use of lab assessment a. i. Can detect deficiencies long before anthropometric measures change or clinical signs appear b. ii. Missing info here: types of tests c. i. Measures the amount of a nutrient or its metabolite in blood, urine, or body tissue c. i. 3. c. i. 4. c. i. 5. Limitation: fails to reflect overall nutrient status c. ii. Involves the physiology processes that rely on the presence of adequate quantities of a nutrient c. ii. 1. a. c. ii. 2. c. ii. 3. Limitation: tendency to be non-specific, tend to be more costly: hormonal and cell-mediated response to stress d. i. Proteins that decrease in acute illness or trauma that causes inflammatory stress d. i. 1. a. These will be lower than normal following acute illness/trauma d. ii. Proteins that increase to varying degrees in response d. ii. 2. Increases within 4-6 hours of surgery or trauma d. iii. 1. b. When crp begins to decrease again, patient has entered anabolic period of the inflammatory response d. iii. 1. b. i. This is when intensive nutrition therapy is most beneficial d. iii. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers