POSC 225 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Federalist No. 10, Big Tent, Reproductive Rights

33 views4 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Yet, clinton won 7 of 4 pledged delegates. So she won 11 of wyoming"s delegates despite losing by 12 points. Superdelegates can change their minds: myth: clinton is winning due to superdelegates b. i. Actually, she is far ahead in pledged delegates (1,288 v 1,042) b. ii. Sanders has won more low-population and/or caucus states (so, fewer delegates in each) c. ii. Dems allocate delegates proportionally and formula sometimes narrows the gap. Incentives for both parties to be big tent parties. Fractured alignments/ 1960s and 1970s: when issues split the existing party coalitions (new deal coalition) a. i. Party labels less meaningful: party line voting declines; ticket splitting increased, role of incumbency as party labels had less influence, the electorate become more volatile/indifferent to parties e. Independent and third-party candidates did better: divided government became common f. i. Candidate-centered campaigns: weakening of party influence on voters hastened by a. i. Increased access to campaign resources from sources other than political parties a. iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers