POSC 225 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Political Action Committee

25 views3 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Interest groups/ controversies remain: two main worries: a. i. Bias of interest group system dominated by wealthy corporations and affluent individuals a. ii. Private interests dominate policy arenas: others: b. i. On the right, groups may be stronger than political parties b. iv. Connect citizens with their government between elections c. ii. Elected officials are in a powerful position with regard to interest groups c. iii. 1. Have key information that interest groups need c. iii. 3. Ultimately can pick and choose with groups to support. Interest groups and pacs: organized interests are most visible through political action committees a. i. Pac: a government-regulated group that raises money and contributes funds to political candidates a. ii. Modern pacs are a creation of the feca (1971; 1974) a. ii. 1. Specified rules for legitimately participating in campaign finance a. ii. 1. c. Under feca, financial activities of pacs are (1) public record and (2) uncapped a. ii. 1. d. Super pac (post- citizens united)- a less regulated. Pac that can spend unlimited amounts on behalf of candidates a. iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers