PSYC 3325 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Social Perception, Henri Tajfel, Collectivism

30 views3 pages
15 Feb 2017
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Who are you: i ams might fall into the category of. Temporary descriptions of a person: ex: i am tired, i am hungry. A more enduring description: ex: i am smart. Two or more people who share characteristics that are meaningful to themselves or others: ex: i am a daughter. Social identity (tajfel 1970: social groups are so important to people that people unconsciously favor people like then. Optimal distinctiveness (brewer 1991: the feeling of wanting to belong to a group, but wanting to be unique at the same time, youre pushed more to group belonging when you have a concealed identity. Self-concept: broad sense of who we are, identity. Our sense of most important characteristics that define us: spontaneous self-concept. The aspects of identity that are in conscious awareness at a given point in time: self-schemas. The specific beliefs by which we define ourselves today and beliefs about who we might become in the future.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers