SOCI 1101 Lecture 9: Gender and Society

37 views3 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Gender and society: a way for society to divide people into two categories: men and women a. i. Myths put forth as facts to explain why men are superior to women a. i. 1. a. i. 2. Men are better at math: sex versus gender, sex: physical differences of the body a. i. Biological: gender concerns the psychological, social, and cultural differences between males and females, such as personality and social roles b. i. Reflects those behaviors that are considered appropriately masculine or. Gender is something we learn and do b. ii. 1. Ascribed status: gender roles, masculine norms a. i. Beauty, fragility, sensitivity, emotional: gender role socialization, the process through which we learn what it means to be male and female, socializing agents e. g. schools, our families, or the media b. i. Teach us what it means to be a man or a woman: gender inequality, the difference in the status, power, and prestige that women and men have in groups, collectives, and societies, evolution of the american family a.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers