SOCI 1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Social Forces, Institutional Analysis, Social Mobility

31 views2 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Income: the amount of money (usually in wages or salaries) that an individual receives for work performed: wealth: accumulated over time, and includes such things as property, stocks and bonds, and capital gains, might compromise: a. i. Other assets: defining poverty, poverty: deficiencies in necessary material goods or desirable qualities, including economic, social, political, and cultural a. i. Should be making 3 times the cost of food a. ii. Compares person or group to the rest of the community or society: social constructions, class sharply divides who has access to which opportunities and resources a. i. Decent education: poverty, class, and inequality are social constructions b. i. Society makes the rules, meanings, qualities, etc. b. ii. Institutional analysis of poverty: there are social forces correlated with poverty a. i. Forces some to adopt a culture of poverty a. ii. Causes poverty along with social problems such as joblessness, crime, and welfare reliance by making it impossible for residents of low income communities to find work (dohan,

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers