PSY 11 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Phineas Gage, Frontal Lobe, Participant Observation

33 views3 pages
25 Oct 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Went to medical school, then specialized in mental health. Have a phd but more educational, no medicine. Research methods: descriptive methods, naturalistic and participant observation (no interference) i. Goodall and apes; rosenhan & pseudopatients: case studies i. ii. H. m. and amnesia; phineas gage and frontal lobe damage. But cannot draw cause-and-effect conclusions, why: third variable problem, lack of control over variables, experimental research, researcher controls the settings. The science of psychology: allows for cause-and-effect statements, experimenter controls for , extraneous variables i. By holding them constant across all conditions: characteristics of the individual participants, participant and experimenter bias. By using random assignment to insure treatment groups are similar. By using placebos (fake drug) , blind and double blind procedures i. i: designing a simple two-group experiment, experimental (treatment) group: exposed to variable (given drug, control group: does not get the experiment, basic group c. Relates to if part of hypothesis: dependent variable: what data you get back.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers