MARKET 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Linking Verb, Semantic Change, Dependent Clause

6 views14 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Discussion: after our study of morphology, how would you answer the question: Average order of acquisition of grammatical morphemes for learners of. "the investigation of the parts [which] sentences consist of and their connections and dependencies. : the study of phrase and sentence structure or: ordering the chaos . "colourless ideas sleep furiously (noam chomsky) a grammatical sentence. Today: beginning analysis, word classes/ parts of speech, coordination and subordination, a brief introduction to sentence function and phrase structure. Sentence function: phrases: focus on connections and dependencies, np, vp, pp, advp, ap, tests to prove phrase status, hierarchical structure: drawing tree diagrams, transformations. How do we combine words to form grammatical sentences? (1) i like apples and bananas. (2) ?apples i like and bananas. (3) *like bananas apples i and. Open classes/ major classes: nouns (n, verbs (v, adjectives (adj, adverbs (adv, often called content words".

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers