BIOL 2051 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Sulfur Metabolism, Human Microbiota, Glycerol

31 views30 pages
25 Aug 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter outline: energy, enzymes, and atp, central processes in atp synthesis, carbon utilization in microorganisms, respiration and the electron transport system, metabolism of non-glucose carbon sources, phototrophy and photosynthesis, nitrogen and sulfur metabolism, biosynthesis of cellular components. Energy, enzymes, and atp: what are the basic principles of catabolism and energy that control metabolism? a. i. Catabolism: breaking down larger molecules to obtain energy and smaller precursors a. i. 2. Anabolism: use of small precursor molecules and energy from catabolism to build macromolecular cell components a. ii. Proteins involved in helping chemical reactions occur. a. ii. 2. An enzyme"s active site binds specific substrate(s) and helps to convert them to products: enzymes and activation energy b. i. Enzymes jump-start reactions by lowering their activation energy (ea)-energy needed for reaction to take place, placing substrates in a more optimal arrangement. Cofactors can help an enzyme put everything together. b. ii. 1. b. ii. 2. Coenzymes b. ii. 3: atp energy currency of the cell c. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers