BIOL 2051 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Microorganism, West Nile Fever, Foodborne Illness

38 views14 pages
25 Aug 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter overview: pathogenic microbes, microbial virulence strategies, the transmission of infectious diseases, proving cause and effect in microbial infections, the evolution of pathogens. Caused by a bacterium carried by rodents d. ii. Exploration of the americas in the 1500 1600s bringing european diseases to indigenous humans d. iii. Spanish flu in the early 1900s d. iv: despite advances in vaccinations, antibiotics, sanitation, and medical care, infectious diseases still take a heavy toll on human life. e. i. Pathogenic microbes: what is an infectious disease, disease: a disturbance in normal functioning of an organism b. i. Infectious disease: caused by a microbe and can be transmitted from host to host b. i. 1. Zoonotic diseases: infectious diseases of animals that can cause disease when transmitted to humans b. ii. 1. Rabies, west nile fever: pathogens: microbes frequently associated with disease production c. i. Pathogenesis: mechanism a microbe uses to cause the disease state c. ii. c. iii. Infection: replication of a pathogen in or on its host c. iv.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers