HIST 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Toleration, Deism, Age Of Enlightenment

45 views4 pages
18 Oct 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The enlightenment (1700s-1800s, why, characterize i. ii. iii. iv. v. vi. vii. viii. ix. x. See humans positively - capable of great progress, achievements (except. Salons - provides community of learning, more empowers women. Expands to middle class, artisans, nobles, kings accessibility and. Not academics more like popularizer write novels, pamphlets, essays for general consumption (written in french) read by many, of all walks of life: where? i. Best government - separation of classes, separation of branches of government, separation of powers, shared power among groups (not all power held in the hands of one) - checks and balances. However not a fan of complete democracy - doesn"t trust the masses. Favorite model is english constitutional monarchy (in response to french monarchy) iii. iv. v. vi. vii: voltaire (1694-1788) - french, middle class, well educated, becomes very wealthy i. ii. Gets put in bastille, then exile (in england) Beliefs: religious freedom, religious toleration iv. v.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers