PSY 111 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Cognitive Therapy, Behaviour Therapy, Mental Disorder

22 views5 pages

Document Summary

Why many people fail to seek treatment: may not realize they have a mental disorder, beliefs such as: i should be able to handle things myself . My problem isn"t that severe , treatment won"t be effective . I"ll be stigmatized : not knowing where to look for services, people sometimes do not receive the most effective treatments -> discouraged from continuing or seeking help from other therapists. Approaches to treatment: there are two broad categories of treatment, psychological treatment (psychotherapy, people interact with clinician, a person"s thoughts and behaviors are treated, biomedical treatment, brain is treated with drugs, surgery, or some other direct intervention. In most cases both psychological and biological treatments are applied. Psychodynamic therapy: psychodynamic psychotherapies, have roots in freud"s theory, explore childhood events and encourage individuals to use this understanding to develop insight into their psychological problems, there are two types of psychodynamic therapy: psychoanalysis and interpersonal psychotherapy (ipt)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers