MMG 141 Lecture 4: 1/18 Mitosis and Meiosis

57 views3 pages

Document Summary

Beginning: chromosomes in replicated state (from s phase) Microtubules attach to sister chromatids, line up at equator. Process of fusing a sperm and the egg. Cannot use mitosis to produce reproductive cells. Special type of cell division, four genetically different haploid gametes from diploid germ cell. A cell that has 2 sets of chromosomes, each chromosome represented twice as member of homologous pair. A cell that has one member of each pair of homologous chromosomes, each chromosomes represented once. Specialized haploid cells produced by meiosis (sperm or egg) Precursor to gamete, cells that give rise to reproductive cells. Before entering process, chromosomes replicated in s phase. Germ cells undergo 2 successive rounds of cell division (diploid to haploid), separates homologous chromosome pairs. Prophase i, metaphase i, anaphase i, telophase i. Begins with haploid cells, separate sister chromatids. Prophase ii, metaphase ii, anaphase ii, telophase ii. Maternal and paternal chromosomes shuffled so gametes have different genetic makeup.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers