SOC 210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Thomas Robert Malthus, Kingsley Davis, Mortality Rate

48 views7 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Societies are defined as stable, cohesive units that collaborate with one another: social problems. Social pathologists saw societies as living organisms (all have parts that are vital for functioning) a. i. 1. Look at diseases (social problems) in the society. a. i. 1. a. i. e. drug addiction, crime, prostitution, poverty. Bad individuals are to blame for these social problems a. i. 2. according to social pathologists a. ii. Immigration bringing in new religious values/family values/etc. a. ii. 1. a. i. Catholic values brought in form immigration a. ii. 1. b. a. ii. 1. c. a. ii. 1. c. i. Technology faster than morals and values can keep up with (ex: choosing genetics for future child) a. iii. Social learning we learn from observing other people (bobo doll study) a. iii. 1. a. iii. 2. We need to change the conditions of people"s lives/the communities in which they live to fix the problems. 9/8/16: conflict access to scarce resources (i. e. wealth, economics, and status is power/a scarce resource, critical theorists focus on conflict over/between values of particular groups in the population. a. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers