ENG 210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Phonetics, Syllabification, Categorical Perception

32 views19 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Note: the tool room or costume room : tool and costume are not adjectives bc they cannot occur in the predicative positions, *the room is tool/costume. Adjectives can also be comparative & superlative: example, noisy, comparative: nosier, superlative: nosiest, beautiful, comparative: more beautiful, superlative: most beautiful. The messy room is my bedroom : the messy room : constituent, a noun phrase. The messy room are the end of the hell : noun phrase. Verbs: inflects past tense: walk walked. Go went can take arguments: transitive: i ate tacos, has argument, tacos are the argument of ate, intransitive: i ate at 3:00, doesn"t have argument preposition. 20. doesn"t inflect doesn"t inflect for past tense often takes an object examples: the cat ran under the bed: preposition: under , object of the preposition, noun phrase: the bed clause: consists of subject and verb phrase (vp) Subject: the constituent to the left of the verb.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers