PSY 30312 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Parenting Styles, Heritability, Impulsivity

11 views2 pages
4 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Other causal factors of conduct disorder: pregnancy: May be attributed to maternal malnutrition & alcohol use while mother is pregnant with child. But better accounted for by genetic risk. Example= mothers with conduct problems are more likely to use substances in pregnancy, which can lead to later problems with conduct for the unborn child: neurobiological: Heightened reward sensitivity (bas) highly sensitive to reward, especially the rewards that are emotionally salient. Makes these kids high risk and high reward seeking. Lowered punishment sensitivity (bis) kids are not as responsive to negative parent feedback. Not as connected to emotions that naturally encourage kids to inhibit behaviors. Example= i would not stand up in front of everyone in the middle of class because i am inhibited by the fact that i would be embarrassed, but kids with cd lack this inhibition of emotions. Abnormalities in the amygdala, prefrontal cortex, posterior/anterior cingulate, insula, Social cognitive factors: connectivity: encoding: taking in information about social situations.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers