BIOL 1117 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Partition Coefficient, Relative Atomic Mass, Atomic Number

19 views5 pages

Document Summary

Karina da rosa: the chemistry of life, the chemical elements i. Periodic table: 91 elements elements arranged by by atomic number, 24 elements have a biological role, all all minerals except o, c, h, and n, 6 elements : 98. 5% of body mass i. Oxygen (o), carbon (c), hydrogen (h), nitrogen (n), calcium (ca), and phosphorus (p: 6 elements : make up 1% i. Sulfur (s), potassium (k), sodium (na), chlorine (cl), magnesium (mg), and iron (fe) ii. Element: the simplest form that matter can take and still have unique chemical properties iii. Atom: number of protons in its nucleus, minerals. 1: contribute to body structure (bones and teeth, nearly of our mineral mass is calcium and phosphorus, electrolytes, needed for nerve and muscle function v. Atomic structure: nucleus: center of atom, protons: single positive charge, neutrons: no charge, atomic mass: equal to the amount of protons and neutrons together, electrons, rings (energy circles) surround nucleus i. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers