BIOL 1117 Lecture Notes - Lecture 23: Fluid Compartments, Electric Potential, Extracellular Fluid

18 views4 pages

Document Summary

Anatomy and physiology: neurophysiology, electrical potentials and currents, mechanism for generating an electrical signal in neurons, mechanism for transmitting useful messages to next cell//synapse iii. Electrophysiological traits: cellular mechanism for producing electrical potentials and currents, basis for neural communication and muscle contraction iv. Electrical potential: the difference in concentration of charged particles between two points that have potential to do work, energy required to move a unit electric charge in a static field v. Electrical current: flow of charged particles from one point to another, opposite charges cause current to flow together, similar charges cause current to repel, ohm s law : voltage/resistance = current a. Increase in voltage results in an increase in current i. Increase in resistance results in a decrease in current. Conductors : decrease current: currents are movement of ions (na+ or k+) i, enables the cell to turn electrical currents on and off, polarized state i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers