PHIL 1165 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Assisted Suicide, John Stuart Mill, Immanuel Kant

42 views3 pages

Document Summary

Brain death, euthanasia, and physician assisted suicide: physician assisted suicide i. Intentional, uncoerced, self caused death: history of suicide, ancient // classic views i. Disgraceful with exceptions: corruption of mind, judicial order, extreme misfortune or shame ii. Aristotle: may be with respect to the person since it is a personal choice but it may be unjust in respect to the state iii. Stoics: suicide may be appropriate where a person has lived a full life, the judeo-christian tradition i. ii. Augustine - 5th commandment: thou shalt not kill, forbids self-destruction, aquinas, suicide is contrary to self love b, violates duty to god. Injures the community: enlightenment//modern period i. ii. iii. Immanuel kant: deontological argument, how you treat yourself is how you treat others, to justify suicide is to justify killing iv. John stuart mill: people are on liberty to do as they will with their lives until it affects the lives of others // the general happiness v.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers