Chapter 1 Personality Theory
• What is Personality?
• Difficult to Define
– Nature vs. Nurture
– Stable versus Changing
– Conscious versus Unconscious
– Normal versus Abnormal
• How do you define personality?
• How would you define your own personality?
• Book Definition
– A pattern of relatively permanent traits and unique characteristics that give
both consistency and individuality to a person’s behavior.
• Definition: A set of related assumptions that allows scientists to use logical
deductive reasoning to formulate testable hypotheses.
– Different from philosophy